June 09, 2006

World Cup "Tour" 2006

I was able to fulfill a dream in 2004 by going to France to see the Tour de France. Another wish is to see the World Cup in all its insanity at some point in my life. Short of that, I was fascinated by a series of online articles in Salon back in 2002 in which the intrepid reporter attempted to watch World Cup games in ethnic bars matching the players on the field. He was in New York City and got paid to carry out his quest. Unfortunately I am in central Connecticut and only have a few random and weekend days to see what I can cobble together as far as this cool ideas goes.

Here's the deal: Soccer IS boring, no matter how you slice it. But there's something very attractive to me about the international game; the crazed fans. I get patriotic a few times per decade and it is always due to sports - cycling, soccer and hockey spring to mind. I can't explain it, but it's true. Also, Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs" remains as one of my favorite books (falling into that "Unbelievable non-fiction category I like best).

With all that in mind and with the knowledge that my quest is severely limited, let's get going. And anyone with any CT knowledge on where I can hit up some Ivory Coasters or Iranians at their local haunts, let me know. (Or if you want to file a field report, by all means. Stupid pictures required though.)

Friday, June 9
Tour Stop # 1: Germany vs. Costa Rica at a German restaurant in New Britain, CT

Tour Stop # 2:Poland vs. Ecuador at Stadion Cafe in New Britski, CT

Saturday, June 10
Tour Stop # 3:My couch for 3 games

Sunday, June 11
Tour Stop # 4:My couch and the Cambrense Cafe in Hartford

Monday, June 12 and Tuesday June 14
Tour Stop #'s 5 and 6:Rookies in Cromwell and my couch

Friday, June 16
Tour Stop # 7:Ay Chihuahua Mexican Cantina

Saturday, June 17
Tour Stop # 8:My couch and the jungles of Ghana

Saturday, June 17
Tour Stop # 9:Francesco's Italian Restaurant

Sunday, June 18
Tour Stop # 10: Goal International Sports Cafe

Thursday, June 22
Tour Stop # 11: Vaughn's for USA vs. Ghana

Sunday, June 25
Tour Stop # 12: The Half Door for England vs. Ecuador

Everyday
Tour Stop # 13: Random Soccer thoughts

Sunday, July 2
Tour Stop # 14: Brazil Grille for Brazil vs. France

Back to BesettingVice Home
eXTReMe Tracker